South West London Law Centres (SWLLC)
A community based legal practice and a registered charity. They work across six South West London boroughs (Croydon, Kingston, Merton, Sutton Richmond and Wandsworth) helping people to understand and enforce their legal rights. In doing so, they address the root causes of social injustice – poverty, family breakdown, unemployment and exploitation. Their history dates back to 1974 when the first Law Centres in Wandsworth were created. They became SWLLC in 2004 through the merger of a number of Law Centres in South West London.
You are probably aware of the money management and debt advice service offered by SWLLC's Debt Team and they are happy to announce that they have been awarded extra funding to assist clients with grant applications.
Thames Water Trust Fund Project
The Law Centre now has a dedicated caseworker to assist Thames Water customers maximise their income and apply to the Thames Water Trust Fund, a fund designed to assist those who are experiencing hardship. Their caseworker can help apply for :
- WaterSure which will cap the client’s annual bill at £368 so they won’t have to pay more than that, no matter how much water they have to use. They must fit certain criteria to qualify.
- WaterSure Plus which will reduce a client’s bill by half if they meet certain criteria. If our application is successful, they will get the discount from the date the application is received.
- Thames Water Trust Fund which will help individuals with outstanding Thames Water bills or to cover the costs of essential household items e.g. washing machine, fridge or bed.
- Discretionary Housing Payment which is a top up of Housing Benefit (or Universal Credit housing costs) for those who have extra needs e.g. rent arrears, shortfall of Housing Benefit to rent.
- General Money Saving where other areas will be identified where clients can reduce their bills.
If you come across a client that needs assistance with any of the above including debt advice please do not hesitate to contact us on email@example.com or call 020 8767 2777 with option 1 “for Debt”. We offer Thames Water appointments in Croydon, Kingston, Merton and Wandsworth. Download posters from below.
Other Legal Services
SWLLC provides advice, legal casework and representation at courts and tribunals in the following areas of law - Debt, Community Care, Public Law, Employment, Housing, Immigration & Asylum and Welfare Benefits at upper tier tribunals only. They also provide the housing duty solicitor schemes at Croydon, Kingston and Wandsworth County Courts giving emergency representation in possession hearings, for rented and owned homes, and at the warrant stage for evictions. They also run 15 pro bono a week offering advice in many more legal advice subjects. Download information on their evening clinics from below.
If you are not sure if they can help then just email the service firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions and someone will be able to let you know. If they cannot help you then they will try and find another organisation which covers the service you need.