Croydon Council's priority is to reach those in Croydon who are most in need yet unable to enjoy the benefits of the digital world.
This innovative Computers in Croydon Communities recycling initiative provides a low cost opportunity for voluntary and community groups to support their clients and communities to gain digital skills. Croydon Council, working with Computer Recyclers UK have developed the Go ON Croydon Computers in the Community scheme to enable groups throughout Croydon to purchase recycled computer equipment at a price which is significantly lower than the usual retail price. This computer equipment must be used to support clients and communities to develop digital skills, either through a new project or as an enhancement to supplement the existing services you deliver to your clients and communities.
Both desktop (which also includes screen, keyboard and mouse) and laptop computers are available under the scheme, each at a cost of £29 per computer. All computers are data wiped, reloaded and licensed with Windows 7 Professional, Microsoft Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) and Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus software. Actual equipment specifications will vary.
The Computers in Croydon Communities scheme is intended to provide equipment to organisations which otherwise would be unable to afford to buy digital equipment to support their clients’ basic digital skills development.
Organisations purchasing Computers in Croydon Communities equipment will be expected to:
- Use the equipment to support their clients and communities to develop digital skills, either through a new project or as an enhancement to supplement the existing services they deliver to their clients and communities
- Train 1 volunteer or staff member through the free Digital Champion training offered by Croydon Council
- Supply Croydon Council with the numbers of clients supported on a monthly basis
- Accept individual client referrals from Croydon Council if appropriate
- Become a member of the Croydon Digital Skills Community Partnership
- Agree to a mutually convenient pre-arranged visit to your digital skills activity, if requested.
If you wish to purchase this low cost equipment to support your clients and community with digital skills, please complete this application form as soon as possible and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org who, if approved, will send you an order form to purchase equipment from Computer Recyclers UK.