Safeguarding as a whole has been affected by recent media attention, particularly in relation to Oxfam. Update 1807 and this one are specifically about criminal record checks, which are only one aspect of safeguarding. For a wider look at safeguarding in general, two recent briefings (2-3 pages each) summarise key regulatory and good practice issues.
Are you meeting your safeguarding obligations?
Three key action points for charities, Bates Wells Braithwaite solicitors, 8 March 2018. Covers:
- The Charity Commission;
- Charities working overseas;
- Government strategy on preventing child abuse within the UK;
- Updated statutory guidance;
- The independent inquiry into child sexual abuse;
- Key action points.
Charities: Protecting vulnerable beneficiaries, employees and volunteers
Brodies solicitors, 23 February 2018. Covers:
- Who is responsible;
- What does your constitution say;
- Code of practice and risk register;
- Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) notifiable events; employment/HR; and "law and regulation is a good thing".
(Although this is intended for Scottish charities, Scottish charity law in this area is virtually the same as the law in England and Wales, and the good practice recommendations apply everywhere.)
source sandyadirondack 19.03.18