CVA TELEPHONE BEFRIENDER PLUS
The main aim of the the Telephone Befriending PLUS service is to provide support to clients using the service through a weekly telephone call. Within this role you can help reduce the feeling of isolation. Telephone befrienders usually call the same person each week at the same time, to provide a listening ear, links to other services and to monitor general well being. You can download some posters by clicking on the links below.
It is funded by Comic Relief and enables those with English as a second language to find befrienders as well.
We are particulary interested in hearing from you if you speak any additional languages
Responsibilities include :
- Providing companionship by telephoning clients for a chat
- Maintaining records of telephone calls to clients
- Agreeing with the client if and when extra support should be requested eg. food parcels, medical supplies and communicating that need
- Maintaining regular communication with the project co-ordinator Skills Required
- Good listening and communication skills
- An open-minded and non-judgemental attitude
- An understanding and awareness of issues faced by isolated people at this difficult time
- An understanding of Confidentiality and Safeguarding
- Ability to maintain boundaries
- Regular catch-ups so you feel confident in your role and are aware of additional support on offer
- This is a flexible role, and telephone calls can be arranged on agreement between the volunteer and the client.
- Telephone calls can be from 15 minutes up to an hour, once a week.
- This role is designed as part of an Emergency Response to the Corona Virus. Although we cannot predict how long this situation will continue this befriending relationship should be viewed as short term. Further guidance will be given about "ending" the relationship which will include options for both volunteers and clients continued involvement in similar projects.